Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Week One
Setting up a free email account and blog was a relatively pain-free experience (at least physically). However, why do I feel like I have signed my soul to some technology demon? I have to admit, I am a backward thinker. I am fine using the Internet to find information, however I am still very anxious about posting my personal information out there for anyone and everyone to see. I have not yet fully embraced technology. I agree that some technology enhances our lives, but I am not convinced all technology is good. For example, 80% of the world’s supply of coltan, a mineral used in cell phones and computer chips, comes from the Congo where some 5.4 million people have died from war-related causes and 45,000 continue to die every month from conflict. (http://www.democracynow.org/2008/1/23/corporations_reaping_millions_as_congo_suffers ) Obviously, technology has not enhanced everyone’s life, only those affluent enough to keep up with the newest, latest technology. I am not going to change the world, but I am not going to be buying a cell phone anytime soon either…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Oh yes you are! ;)
Its difficult to balance technology and piece of mind. Concerning the technology deprived, they are starting to make it possible for developing countries to have technologies here in the states, ie. $100
Laptops. Hopefully, we can see a green revolution equivalent to the industrial revolution and make it plausible so technology doesn't have to consume so many resources.
Post a Comment