Thursday, March 6, 2008

Week Six

This week I explored RSS feeds. I think RSS feeds are both good and bad. First, I am not convinced it really saves time. Whether you go directly to the site or sift through it on a reader; you still end up spending more time than you really should on stuff that doesn't really matter in the long run, especially if you are not very discerning in what you subscribe to. (how's that for a run on sentence? and of course it ends with a preposition, Mrs. Hawks may junior high school grammar teacher would be appalled.)

On the other hand, it seems a useful tool to keep up on the latest debates, trends etc., in the library world and beyond. I think there are some applications for libraries to consider. RSS feeds for library programs that relate to a patron's particular interests or for new books or other materials that fit within a patron's profile would be great methods of promoting library services. Library websites could also provide links to other RSS feeds of interest such as PW reviews and other book review services, local newspaper headlines, local organizations…

As for search tools - I liked Topix more than Syndic8. A search for subject related information on Topix resulted in more useful links. Syndic8 in fact pulled very few and in some instances no useful links. I suppose Syndic8 would be more helpful if I were looking for a specific feed, rather than a subject area. In my everyday use of the internet I have occasionally come across a RSS feed "button". Now I know what it is- one more thing to check off my ‘to do’ list...

1 comment:

Radical Rex said...

I really like your blog, if only there were away for me to get an update every time you post something new....