Thursday, May 8, 2008

Week Nine (part two)...Google Labs and Web 2.0 Awards

I browsed Google Labs and the Web 2.0 Awards list today. I must admit this was an entertaining way to waste time. Google Mars was interesting. Google Suggest was annoying and Google Scholar and Page Creator were intriguing. I did not experience any difficulty navigating any of the prototypes. Google Mars was probably the most entertaining. I suspect this one will graduate, considering the popularity of Google Maps. For the average Internet user, I suppose Google Suggest could be useful - I just found it mildly irritating. I have a bad habit of finishing other people's sentences. I find it annoying in me and equally annoying that Google presumes to know what it is I am searching for. I typed in "Ant" because I was searching for information on ants and instead Google decided I was looking for "anthropology" among other things. My favorite prototype was Google Scholar. I think this could be a useful tool for students and anyone looking for more scholarly sources.

On the Web 2.0 Awards list I browsed several websites. I was amused by One Sentence, a site where one may write a one sentence story. The stories included a gamut of topics, emotions, and scenarios - some were quite profound. Google Maps was both fun and a bit scary. Not sure how I feel about someone having the ability to look up my address. I really liked Care2, which incorporates petitions, donations, groups and tips. I have a thing for signing petitions and am always looking for legitimate and productive non-profit organizations to support. So there you have it.

No comments: